The conference will explore human rights issues by bringing together supporters of human rights from around the world to hear from human rights experts, listen to rights holders’ personal experiences, take part in robust panel discussions and learn of new ways to promote and protect human rights in Australia and the world. This is a great opportunity for APYN YOU(th) to add your voice to the conference!
What is the Human Rights Conference Scholarship?
Successful applicants will experience three days of lectures, debates and discussion with top international speakers and human rights defenders.
The scholarships will cover the cost of return flights to Brisbane, two nights accommodation at the Conference venue (or three nights if required for travel purposes), Conference fees and conference provided meals.
The scholarships are intended to provide a means for those interested in Human Rights but who may find the cost restrictive.
It is expected that the successful applicants will be selected from diverse regions. Activists from regional/ rural and International areas are particularly encouraged to apply.
What are the dates and details?
6-8 October 2011, in Brisbane, Australia
Yes, I want to apply – what will I need to do?
You will need to:
- Be available for the entire time of the dates (including travel time)
- Be available and able to consult with the APYN prior to your attendance (with your own initiative)
- Be able to report back to the APYN and provide Amnesty International Australia with feedback of your experience
- Be able to commit to a role within APYN for the next 6-12 months.
- Be able to contribute to online discussions with other youth prior to your attendance
- Be able to complete all readings prior to your attendance.
- Be available to assist during the HRC with activities such as action opportunities, daily blog report/ social media reporting (for APYN) etc.
- Be able to take knowledge back and share it with your friends and community
- Be available for a briefing from APYP prior to your attendance.
What is the selection criterion? (What do I need to answer to apply?)
Selection criteria: we are looking for young people that have these experiences, skills and energy/passion to attend – address as many of the criterion below as you can (but honestly please!). Please also note the questions in the online form below as part of your registeration and application process.
- Interested in basic human rights;
- Willingness to work with others to achieve change;
- Commitment to take knowledge back and share it with your friends and community;
- Desire in gaining a better understanding of Amnesty International ;
- Available to attend all of the Human Rights Conference – 2011 (6-8 Oct 2011, in Brisbane).
- Provide Amnesty International Australia with feedback of your experience attending the Human Rights Conference – 2011.
- Be fluent in English
Applications will be judged on their merits, against the selection criteria with the final delegation considering gender balance, regional spread, and diversity of experiences and level of activity or interactions with networks. Selection decision is final and criteria subject to change in accordance with varying circumstances.
How do I apply?
Application must be received by 10pm Sunday 28 August (Hong Kong time) [GMT +7]. Apply now!
There are two parts of this application process: both must be completed by Sunday 28 August, 2011 at 10pm Hong Kong time (GMT +7)
1. Fill in the form below and submit it by 10pm (Hong Kong time GMT +7h) Sunday 28 August 2011
2. Submit an application addressing the selection criteria via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org – your application may be in the form of written application (max 2 pages A4 typed) or any other creative way BUT must address the selection criteria above. The subject line of your email submission must be: HRC Application (Your Name) Two referees are required.
Applications that do not include both these stages within the deadline or do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
THANK YOU for your applications for this opportunity. Over 82 were received and are currently being considered. Please note that applications have now closed